Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dia de La Muertos...Day of the Dead Portrait


                       
 
Hello and welcome to Paint Party Friday and Haunted Humpday...and Happy Friday the 13th! This week I am linking one post to both, it's been a crazy busy week! I thought it would be fun to try and do a Day of the Dead portrait. I have always loved the DOD/Dia de La Muertos art and found a cool little workshop by TenTwoStudios. I used an image from a magazine as my model and then gave her a DOD makeup, roses for her crown and collaged her on an 8x10 wood background. I'm still working on some of the details but I think she's close to being finished. I had alot of fun creating this piece. She's now available in my Etsy Shop!

This year I will be hosting what I hope will be a very fun Haunted Halloween Doll Challenge, click on the link for more details...hope you'll join me!


And here's a little something to get you in the Halloween mood......Silly Symphony Skeleton Dance by Disney...Spooooooky!

Thanks so much for visiting and please check out all the other artists this week for Haunted Humpday and Paint Party Friday! Have a great weekend!

27 comments:

Incipient Wings said...

Ooh Kim!
This was so cool!
I LOVE Dia de Los muertos!
Your artwork turned out beautifully:)
My little girl watched the silly skeleton dance cartoon with me just now!!!
So cute!
Thank you for such a great post.

Janet Ghio said...

Your Day of the Dead piece is fabulous!!

DogsMom said...

I love vintage Disney! It is amazing what they did with "simple" technology.

Your DoD piece is wonderful. Her sallow cheekbones are perfect.

Mexitali Rose said...

I fell in immediate love with your painting. I did a half calaca face for Halloween last year. Looking forward to the blog Challenge.

Ann said...

this is just marvelous Kim!!!
i love it!

Karla B aka Lady Skyclad said...

This is fabulous! Happy Haunted Humpday!

Mina said...

This is gorgeous! Is there anything you can't do, you artistic virtuoso??? Love the spooky skeleton video.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the colors, the sweets, the mystery of El Dia de los Muertos. And you have made it into so much beauty. I'm enchanted by how the background looks like skin... It gives the piece a haunting look.

Linda said...

She is FANTASTIC Kim-wow- such wonderful details!!

Netty said...

Loving the rich colours of your lady.
Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Lorraine said...

scary

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your spooky face! Valerie

Nic McLean said...

Your day of the dead piece is brilliant. I do love those heads and have seen some great tattoos on pinterest based on them. I love old fashioned cartoons from before CGI!

Debbie said...

Wow - freaky and beautiful. I love it!

Faye said...

Kim, if DOD art can be beautiful, this one is!

Christine said...

This is a beautiful piece! Just stunning.

MeOfCourse said...

Very nice job. Sounds like a great class. Thanks.
gloria

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

absolutely yummy sugar skull portrait....xox

Paper rainbow said...

This is so great, spooky but sweet all at the same time :)

kat said...

Lots of spooky and fun here! I love that mesmerizing painting, she captures and pulls me in, happy PPF!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love what you did with her Día de los Muertos makeup. Blessings!

Ayala Art said...

She is fantastic!

Debbie said...

Wonderfully creepy! Happy Ppf!

denthe said...

Wonderful collagework! Love your DOD make-up ..

Kirstin McCulloch said...

I love this painting - I can't believe it is almost that time of year again! Awesome work x

Jez said...

A very striking face, and interesting additions to give a great dramatic effect. Very interesting work.

www.dorissdaughter.com said...

Fantastic DOD collage makeover! and thanks for sharing the video, it is so funny:)