Sunday, April 8, 2012

Trying Something New...Altered CDVs...


I am doing something I've always wanted to try....altering antique cabinet cards and their smaller cousins, the CDV (carte de viste)! I joined JoAnne of VintageDragonfly in her latest swap on her Flickr group. We are swapping altered cdv's to make a little altered book...so cool! I decided to try a few techniques and above are the result. I forgot to take before and after photos...but both were faded cdv's that I first painted around the face and body with acrylic paint, then outlined the facial features with permanent Sharpie pen, then did a little more painting, some stamping and then added a little more color. SO MUCH FUN!! There is something very special about working directly on the antique photo rather than a copy. I won't be altering all of my photos but I can see I will be doing quite a few of  these in the near future.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I would have never thought they would turn out so beautifully. Couldn't imagine what could be done with them. Nice art!

Kasia said...

I think these are just gorgeous! Lovely colours and images! Happy Easter!!!

Hugs,

Sandy said...

Kim these are wonderful.
Really beautiful work. Love them.

Happy Easter Monday my dear friend. xoxo

JoAnne said...

They're fantastic Kim! I know Sandi and Karla were a little freaked out by altering originals but I think (hope!) they'll appreciate the finished book of originals.
I look at is as these were abandoned people and we've adopted them!