Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Thoughts on Art Journaling.....


I have been very quietly working on getting more confident in my drawing skills and art journaling skills since the beginning of the year. After I announced in January that I was going to join less swaps, not signup for as many art workshops, and focus mainly on drawing and art journaling...my mind rebelled and instead I signed up for all kinds of workshops, started hosting swaps, became co-owner of a Yahoo art group, and most recently, was accepted as a design team member for a mixed media artist I have admired for a very long time! Whew! But along with all the outer activity inwardly I was slowing working through the rebellion, whining and complaining going on in my very busy brain. From all this inner drama, I discovered a few things....I love to draw, I don't like art journaling unless I have a theme to keep me interested, and when I want to do art with no pressure- gluebooks are the way to go...and for me, gluebooks and art journals don't mix!  So now that I've discovered all of that I feel much freer to actually do an art journal page for the Week One Homework in Jane Davenport's Supplies Me workshop. The drawing above is a face that I did for the art journal homework page below. It's a work in progress but I am very happy with it! xo

15 comments:

artistamyjo said...

As you should be. It's really lovely.
Hugs

Ann said...

it is beautiful Kim!!!

Linda said...

that little pixie/fairy is just charming. nice work!

Janet Ghio said...

Kim-I don't really like art journaling much myself. I like creating pages of whatever I want to--but writing all kinds of inner thoughts is not my thing. Your girl is lovely!

Melanie Statnick said...

So wonderful! I too have been journaling. Seems like everyone has been lately. I enjoy it very much. Your faces are pretty. I'm learning some faces too, and its some work but I like adding to them pages later.

Terri said...

I understand what you mean about trying not to get in ones own way! You learned about yourself and became more clear about your art. What could be better than that!
The journal page is fabulous.
Hugs,
Terri

JoAnne said...

You should be happy with it Kim. It really is beautiful. You have had a lot going on including a lot of self discovery. And that's a good thing!
I'm always impressed by all the different skills you persue... and master.
You are an extremely talented artist Kim. xo

Wendy said...

I'm currently enthusiastic about art journaling, but I find that I use it mainly as a means of testing out new techniques or of storing scraps and bits that would otherwise get thrown away. I'm fearful of drawing, even though I used to take classes and was once quite serious about it. The members in my art journal group often draw women, but I'm scared to!

Martina2801 said...

Stunning work, dear Kim! Love your creation.

Aimeslee said...

I went thru a similar self-examination with art journaling. I found for me that I tend to look at what the finished journal might look like or be used for, which is supposed to not be important but it is for me because I'm investing my time in it. So, I got it solved by having like 7 art journals, each with a different theme or content category or use. And it's working...so far. To each her own! xoxo

LuLu Kellogg said...

This is very lovely Kim! You did a great job!

trisha too said...

Charming pages, Kim!

:)

Knock Knock Street said...

Your drawing is beautiful, as is your journal page!

Cindy Craine said...

I love your blog, the photos, your posts, thank you!!! xo-cindy

Wax Beach Artist said...

Very pretty! I like your elf, she has a lot of personality! I think she might be a bit mischievous!