Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hot Wax...Encaustic Painting


One of the online workshops I'm doing right now is the Hot Wax Encaustic Class taught by Judy Wise. All I can say is WOW, encaustic painting is a whole new world! It's so different from doing mixed media in alot of ways because unlike using a glue or gel medium which disappears into the piece, the wax not only holds the images but is part of the composition of the piece. I'm suddenly feeling very lost when it comes to composition, color and the rhythm of my art. Not at all what I expected but very exciting to be learning something new. The above piece, 'Gertrude Went', is encaustic on clayboard, the face is a transfer and the embedded flowers are from my garden. I did a couple of practice paintngs before this one just using beeswax and this one is the first using the colored encaustic wax. xo

5 comments:

artistamyjo said...

Very nice,always fun to learn something new.
Hugs

BLISS angels said...

I always wondered about use the wax I'm going to look at the class .. did you fresh flowers from the garden? so will they keep they color? Mmm very intesting.. it would make an stunning ATC

whymsicalmusings said...

Kim this is divine! I love it:) And stop by my blog I posted this morning your fabulous gifts which I adore.
XOXOXO
becky

frasltd said...

beautiful. i like the look of the wax but i've wondered about the mess and another interest/art form. didn't know you could do the flowers or with other items in the wax. thought it was more of a covering for the art. and do you run the risk of the wax melting on the art in the heat?
the piece is beautiful, love the idea with the flowers.

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

oh Kim that is simply stunning! another something I need to investigate a tad bit more!
Karla