Wednesday, August 31, 2011

If at first you don't succeed....change the way you do it!


So, after my art inspired temper tantrum the other day (see post from 8/29) I decided to give drawing a face another try...but change the way I was trying to do it!  Aha, right?? Don't know why that lightbulb didn't go on sooner! I decided to do a sketch from a book that actually teaches you how to draw basic faces instead of  trying to do a sketch from a magazine ad....so much easier using the book and I was much  happier with the drawing. I then used the Inktense pencils to paint her face and watched for when I was getting obsessed about 'fixing' it instead of 'creating' a pretty face. That little aha made a huge difference too and now I have a piece of art I am happy with....and even better, I want to try it again!

I'm still wading in the baby pool when it comes to drawing/painting faces but I really feel like I accomplished something today. She's not perfect but I'm a happy with her just the way she is!

p.s. Thank you so much to all the friends who left comments on the previous post with words of encouragement, things to consider and wit-wads of wisdom (great term from Aimslee!!) It really helped me to stop and think about what I was doing and I am so grateful! xoxo

10 comments:

BLISS angels said...

YES ! I KNEW IT.. beautiful face angelic.... way to go Kim..... Hugs wendy

BEAR's Mom said...

this is a lovely face Kim...
~victoria~

Sassy Marsha said...

Beautiful!!!!

xxoo

frasltd said...

Nice!! Well done.

Ann said...

Beautiful Kim!!!!
So like you...you never give up ..I'm so impressed with how you "looked" at the problem and figured it out!! you are my hero!!! xo

Aimeslee said...

I'll say, two great sketches back to back. That'd make my month! Have a great weekend and please think good thoughts for no hurricane hitting me in Houston, please. Here it is Thursday and they still have no idea what it's gonna do.... xoxo

Cindy Craine said...

I love the fact that I'm not the only grown woman still having temper tantrums!!!!!!!!! Looks great!xoxo-cindy

Wax Beach Artist said...

She is beautiful and I am happy to see that you were able to achieve that lovely softness again! I also see the improvement in your work and that is great too! A wise old artist/teacher once told me to save every piece of art, or a picture of your work if sold or given away, so that you can track your own progress. This does not mean check every little thing every time but rather yearly or after several attempts. For example, I was with him at a cafe that had an oil portrait of the owner proudly displayed upon the wall. He looked up and shook his head and said, "I did that 15 years ago, just look at those chunks of meat hanging from his arms!" Lol, he was talking about the hands! They were pretty bad compared to the Pastel Portrait Society Honored Member he had become...so seee! Big hugs, way to go!!!!

Theresa said...

She looks like an angel. Love it! You should do more.

Shelley Whiting said...

She is very elegant and delicate. A beautiful and exquisite portrait.