Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good Luck of the Billiken!

I thought to celebrate the New Year it would be fun to share with you two postcards from my collection that feature a curious character called the Billiken , a strange little character that art teacher, Florence Pretz of St.Louis, MO, saw in a dream. He is considered good luck if you buy his likeness or even better luck if he is given to you as a gift. I love that this artist/illustrator shared this little guy with the world in the early 1900's.

The Billiken says:
"I am the God of Luckiness,
  Observe my twinkling eye-
Success is sure to follow those
  Who keep me close by;
I make men fat and healthy
   Who were quarrelsome and thin;
I am the God of Luckiness,
  My name is Billiken."

Wishing you the Luck of the Billiken in 2011! xoxo

5 comments:

Kai said...

THAT'S WONDERFUL! I love him! And tho' I am DEFINITELY not 'spam', I think 'Snookums' is about the cutest lil' thing I ever saw, so MAYBE if I PRETEND to be spam, you'd send him over anyway? LOL! Thank you for sharing Billiken! We can ALL use a God of Good Luck!

JoAnne said...

I love the Billiken Kim! Love your new header too!

Ann said...

Never heard of Billiken..I think he's wonderful! We all need good luck!! Happy New Year Kim!

Birgit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cecilia e Helena said...

How lovely, Kim! Thanks for sharing this story with us!
Helena